[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Non Tar Neon's

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995 tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com wrote:

> I recently unpacked a Transco neon sign transformer (15 kv, 30 ma) to
> find that there was no tar in it.  It is instead filled with some sort of
> plastic/resin.   This stuff is extremely hard and I have had little luck

	The white/cream stuff? I _hate_ it when they do that!

> with a hack saw.  Anybody know how to get rid of this stuff?

	I had pretty good luck with freezing it and chipping it away,
pretty much the way you would do a regular tar potted xfrmr, but a little
more elbow grease needed. The one that I did had this convenient sleeving
over the windings to make the job easier.

Stan Harle
Alamogordo, NM