[Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

I thought I'd share the results of my library searches:

First, I'd like to list some of the plastics with their chemical name and
thier abreviations. Trade names are listed if they are well known.

chemical name			abreviation	aka		notes
-------------			-----------	---		------
polyethylene			PE			CH2-CH2 monomer

				HDPE			High density PE
				LDPE			Low density PE

polypropylene			PP			replace one H in PE
							by CH3

polyvinyl chloride		PVC			replace one H in PE
							by one Cl atom

polyvinylidene chloride		CPVC PVDC			replace two H in PE
							by two Cl

polystyrene			PS			replace H in PE by
							a benzene ring

polyvinyl flouride		PVF			replace H in PE by
							F atom

polyvinylidene flouride		PVDF		Kynar	repace two H in PE
							by two F atoms

polymethyl methacrylate		PMMA		Plexiglas
						Lucite

polytetraflouroethylene		PTFE		Teflon	replace all H in PE
							by F atoms

polychlorotrifloroethylene	PCTFE		Kel-F	replace 3 H in PE
							with F one with Cl

polyamide 6			PA 6		Nylon 6

polyamide 66			PA 66		Nylon 66

polyurethane			PUR

polycarbonate			PC		Lexan

polyethlene terephthalate	PET		Mylar	co-polymer of PE

acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene	ABS		Cycopac	ter-polymer of
							polystyrene

polyimide			PI		Kapton

OK, there are zillions of others, but these are the ones I picked because I
heard of them before...
A couple of comments: Notice that there are many polymers which share a
common structure with polyethylene, all that changes is replacing one or
more of the H atoms in (PE) with some other atom or group of atoms. Then
there are plastics which are called co-polymers or ter-polymers. A co-
polymer is just taking two different monomers and sticking them together in
a unit cell before polymerizing. Example: PET. Likewsie, a ter-polymer is
just sticking three monomers into a unit cell and then polymerizing. A very
common example is ABS which is used as sewar and drainage pipe.

Now for the useful stuff. What are the electrical properties of some of
these polymers? The most useful properties in my mind are the dielectric
constant (or permittivity), the dielectric strenght, and the dissipation
factor. All of these properties are dependent on temperature and frequency,
but amazingly they also depend somewhat on the actual thickness of the
material (as in thin films).

----A couple of notes:
All three properties mentioned above depend on frequency, but it turns out
that for many non-polar polymers (ie PE) that the dielectric constant and
dissipation factor do not depend much on frequency. I'll show some data for
some of the plastics I could find. However, nobody seems to have data on
the frequency dependence of the dielectric strength. It is best just to
assume that this was done at DC.

One property which is not well known for polymers is that the breakdown
electric field or dielectric strength (VOLTS/INCH etc...) depends on the
actual thickness of the film. Typically, as the film gets thinner, the
dielectric strength goes up!!! For example, LDPE has a strength of 800volts
per mil at 80 mils, but this goes up to 1400volts/mil at 20mils!!
Polystyrene exceeds even this!

Finally what is dissipation factor? It is a measure of how lossy the
material is to alternating electric fields (as in Tesla coils and tank
capacitors). It is defined by

	Ir
	--- = tangent (delta)	= DF
	Ic

where Ir is the resistive or dissipative current and Ic is the capacitive
or displacement or reactive current. Delta is the phase angle between
these currents  (in the complex plane). Another expression which contains
the same information is the Power Factor. For those familiar with this term
they are related by:

	PF=DF/SQRT(1+DF^2)

For small DF, then PF is approximately equal to DF. Obvisously, one would
like to have DF as small as possible for low loss, high Q systems.

polymer		dielectric	dielectric      dissipation
		constant	strength	factor
		50Hz / 1Mhz	(Kv/cm)		50Hz / 1Mhz (x10^-3)
--------	-----------	-----------	-----------
LDPE		2.29 / 2.28	370		.15 / .08
HDPE		2.35 / 2.34	--		.24 / .20
PP		2.27 / 2.25	240		.40 / .50
PVC-plasticized 4-8  / 4-5	270		80  / 120
PS		2.5  / 2.5	200-300		.1-.4/.05-.4
ABS		2.4-5/2.4-3.8	~400		3-8 / 2-15
PMMA		3.3-3.9/2.2-3.2	140		40-60/4-40
PTFE		2.1  / 2.1	480		.2 / .2
PCTFE		2.3-2.8/2.3-2.5	550		1 / 20
PA-6		3.8 / 3.4	400		10 / 30
PA-66		8 / 4 		600		140 / 80
PC		3.0 / 2.9	380		.7 / 10
PET		4.0 / 4.0	420		2 / 20
PI		3.5 / 3.4	560		2 / 5
PUR-linear	5.8 / 4.0	>300		120 / 70
PUR-thermoset	3.6 / 3.4	240		50 / 50
PUR-thermoplas	6.6 / 5.6	300		30 / 60
Silicone	3.6		200		5-13 / 7

Another comparison:

polymer		Dielectric constant / Dissipation Factor (x10^-3)

		100 Hz		1000 Hz		1 Mhz 		10 Mhz

ABS		2.8/5		2.8/6		2.8/8		2.8/7
PMMA		3.6/62		3.2/58		3.1/40		2.9/33
PC		3.1/1		3.1/1.3		3.1/7		3.1/11