[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tank Capacitors

Greetings:

Is it necessary to burn in new oil filled rolled tank capacitors?  I
completed two .018mfd capacitors and let them sit for a week.  Then according
to the capacitor instructions in the Keelynet file, it says to burn them in.
 I connected them to the output of a 12kv 60ma transformer in series with the
center connected to the transformer center tap.  I ran it about 50% power
(should be about 3kv across each cap) for 4 hours.  I checked the transformer
later and discovered one secondary was toasted.  Would you expect this to
happen?  Can I risk another transformer?  --Or should I just hook the system
up and run the coil (also new and never been fired) at low power for a while?

Thanks,  Ed Sonderman