Date: Sat, 17 Jun 95 16:23:26 +0000
From: mmccarty-at-dnaco-dot-net
To: richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org
Subject: RE: TESLA COIL INFO

>  MM> I do have a supply of around 5,000 gallons of Shell Diala AX
>
> This will work great for capacitor projects!

Right now we're tring to get rid of 27 drums of this because we're
installing gas breakers and getting rid of the oil breakers.  The
way things stand right now it may be disposed of as waste oil
because salvage won't take it unless they think they can sell it
and they don't.  Talking to a few people I found I may be able
to work out a deal to get some dirt cheap. (Maybe $10=$20 a drum).
Would you know of anybody interested in 55 gal drums of Shell Diala?
These are sealed, unopened drums that have been in storage about
three years.  Anybody interested would have to pay freight for
about 400 lbs a drum.  We gave six drums of this stuff to a gun
range on base to oil a very large bullet trap and I thought it was
a big waste of some expensive oil, so I figured I'd try to find
somebody who could use it.

> I am currently developing a series of air quenched, oil cooled,
> gaps. The problem is that when you add another gap in series, you
> remove the electrostatic effects of two opposing electrodes with
> opposite charges. With the addition of the second gap, the
> spacing between the gaps drops from 1/2-inch, to something like
> .030 inches, which is a very significant reduction. This drastic
> reduction in the width of the gap required redesigning the way
> air is injected. The solution involves drilling the electrodes
> out on the long axis and injecting the air blast into the gap
> through the electrode face. I have experimented with different
> electrode shapes for this project and have finally settled on a
> design that may be easily reproduced by others without having
> parts custom machined.

I had thought of drilling through the face, but how about this:

Take a 1.5 x 2 inch piece of plexi and glue a .25 x 2 inch
strip of plexi on to the long sides on one face. Then add
another 1.5 x 2 piece to make a rectangular tube with the
opening an inch wide x the thickness of the plexi. Drill
a 1" hole through the tube between the .25" rails. The faces
of the electrodes will go through each with the gap in the
middle of the tube.

-!------------     <-End view of plexi sandwich
--          --
-!------------

-!------------
l   ------   l     <-Face of snandwish with hole just large
l  /      \  l      enough for elctrode face
l l        l l
l  \      /  l
l            l
l            l
l            l

This could be mounted on a plexiglass manifold and would
force all air through the gap.

-Mike

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

----- End Included Message -----