[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

PRIMARY STRIKES

 * Originally By: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
 * Originally To: Richard Quick
 * Originally Re: PRIMARY STRIKES

Richard,

RQ> I am trying to see this with my mind's eye. The problem is I
RQ> can't visualize exactly what "past the strike rail" means. I
RQ> assume you mean that the secondary discharge is striking the
RQ> primary coil at points that are inside of the strike rail
RQ> protection.

Yes, this is what I was trying to say.

RQ> With the strike rail positioned ABOVE the OUTSIDE turn on the
RQ> primary, how could the secondary strike the primary coil at
RQ> points that are "past the strike rail"?

Yes, this was my question.  I watched the coil running last night for
quite awhile.  When I get the loud discharges in the primary (pop
like a firecraker and bright flash) I don't actually see a strike from
the discharger hit there. Is it possible this is being caused by
something other than a strike from the secondary?  Like a breakdown of
the primary itself?  I am using 3/8 copper tubing on 3/4" centers i.e.
3/8 spacing.

RQ> there should be no "edges" on the toriod, it should be all
RQ> smooth surfaces.

The toroid is smooth.  I meant to say the top and bottom surfaces.  The
toroid does have many small protrubances where the aluminum tape edges
are. The discharges leave from these points and don't dance around like
they would on a smooth aluminum commercial toroid.

I have been running the coil with a 3/8 drive socket sitting on the top
of the discharger to help direct the energy up and away from the primary.
Even then, I can not run at full power with one capacitor tapped at 10
turns without getting the loud discharges in the primary.

The other day you asked if the RF chokes are far enough back.  I don't
know, I think so.  I sent you some pictures yesterday.  You said they
should be mounted off axis.  Can you elaborate on this?  You said they
may be too large or too small.  I used 1.5" OD ferrites from Marlin Jones
P/N 5065-CH.  I understand how they could be too small.  I don't under-
stand how they could be too large.  Mine are wound with 12 turns of #12
AWG solid wire (650 to 700 microheneries).  I have been thinking about
going up to 2.5" OD ferrites (Marlin Jones P/N 2680-TC).  I have several
transformers left and plan to gradually step the power up to over 2KVA -
once I get some of these problems worked out.  My next and most immediate
project will be to build a larger torroid.  Probably in the 30 to 34" dia
size.

I have a question about tuning.  Here's how I do it.  Running about 1/4
power with only a couple of the spark gaps hooked up,  I adjust a ground
wire above the discharger about 7 or 8 inches away - to draw a constant
series of sparks.  Then I adjust the primary tap until the white hot
center section of the sparks is the longest.  Does this sound ok?

Thanks,  Ed Sonderman

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12