Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 15:41:58 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Kristian Tapani Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-snakemail.hut.fi>
To: Richard Quick <richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org>
Subject: Re: TESLA COILS ETC.

On Mon, 27 Mar 1995, Richard Quick wrote:

(about my 4" coil"
> Should work fine, your frequency may be a little high, but so
> will your Q. Just hunker down with a decent sized discharger.

The resonant frequency without toroid is 530kHz..

>  KU> My problem is that I'm building a pulsed dye-laser as well
>  KU> and I found a cheap source for a capasitor with 44uF 5.5kVDC
>  KU> rating which equals about 500 joules.. BUT, the physical
>  KU> volume of this cap is only about 500cm^3 (half a liter) and
>  KU> it's originally used in a heart defibrillator.. (!) It
>  KU> sounds a bit small to be a capasitor for real pulse-
>  KU> discharging use.. What do you think?

> I agree. While the cap may pulse, it may not pulse with the duty
> cycle normally encountered in the Tesla tank circuit. Think about
> how long the power circuit of a defibrillator charges, then the

I sorry that I did not express myself clearly enough : I meant to ask
if you think this would work for a dye-laser's flash-lamp-pulsing..
I'm seeking a cap for this DC-pulsing application and I'm not
sure if that cap would work because it's so "small" - or even
an electrolytic cap.. (?)

I did not even think about using it in a tesla-coil..
Except maybe in a DC-powered, pulsed tesla-coil? :)

> They are cheap, but again they are not suitable for Tesla work.

I don't mean to use one for tesla work..

> These guys are thinking radiation, not ground conduction.

I fully agree.. In fact, I replied originally to a message that
stated how much worse tesla-coil is for energy transfer than Hertzian
waves and gave them the reference to your writings in the
ftp-site to get the facts.. They started arguing about rf-theory.. :)

I just didn't know the answer for the Faraday's cage question
as I hadn't tried it..

> There is no "believing". The experiment is easy to reproduce, and
> I outlined exactly how I obtained my results. I have not done
> this just once, I ran literally dozens of experiments in this
> area over a period of weeks. Ground current conduction is a plain
> and simple fact.

I just can't do else than "believe" before I get my system to
operational condition..

Yours,

  Kristian.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12