[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Splitting & Tank

 * Carbons Sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net
                    sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu

 RM>  While I have your rapt and unwavering attention, dear people,
 RM>  permit me to confess:  I =am indeed= something of a purist.
 RM>  This business of using modern materials, tools, and instru-
 RM>  ments to construct high-voltage resonant circuits is -- is --
 RM>  well -- it's =fascinating= !   But, is it Tesla??

Quoting Steve Roys:

 SR> Give me a break!  Tesla used the best of what was available, and
 SR> either advanced the technology himself or pushed the existing
 SR> technology to the outer limits to accomplish what he did.

 SR> A capacitor is a capacitor regardless of whether it's made using
 SR> salt water filled champagne bottles or modern plastics, and I'm
 SR> sure that Tesla would have whole-heartedly, even rabidly, endorsed
 SR> using the modern materials and methods that you question.  Being a
 SR> "purist" doesn't mean that you have to live in the past; the tech-
 SR> nology and materials that that R Quick, R Hull, Golka, and others
 SR> use are indeed a perfect embodiment of what I would respectfully
 SR> consider to be "Tesla".

I am not only extremely flattered that my name has been used in the
paragraph above; alongside greats such as Hull, Golka, and even the
Master himself, Tesla; but there is rhyme to the reason. S. Roys
understands that Tesla was the embodiment of advancement. Tesla
devoted his entire life towards moving mankind into the future.

 RM>  Constructing any circuit, using any materials, devising any
 RM>  technique - just so long as it has a resonant transformer
 RM>  and produces a long(er), thick(er) spark  (how phallic!) is
 RM>  New Age Tesla-ing (as I call it). It's okay as far as it goes,

No. Your field of vision is narrow and confined. Subtle advancements
in the "art" (Tesla's words not mine) mean more efficient RF power
processing. Tesla was progress; not retroversion; not standing still.

 SR> I personally think that by putting your words and prejudices in the
 SR> departed Dr. Tesla's mouth, you are trivializing Tesla's brilliance
 SR> and his philosophy of pushing technology to the edge, and are
 SR> actually doing more harm than good.

I concur. Tesla stated he was the "sharp edge of the knife", as in
cutting edge of technology. This was reflected in his methods, patent
records, notes, lectures, and interviews. Tesla gave due credit to-
wards those before him: Hertz, Crookes, Lenard, Roentgen, Faraday,
etc.,; but he always set a pace that left the pack behind.

Now RM would have Tesla preserved in amber: with his thoughts, designs,
methods and techniques frozen in time. I would rather see Tesla freed of
his 1890's constraints. Only by bringing his methods into the present
(with modern ideas and materials) can we expect Tesla technology to take
it's rightful place in the future.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12