[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power curve

You wrote:

>I DO have a scheme for voltage doubling that is different. It is
>based on my Marx generator variation. A two stage generator is
>all it takes. Each capacitor has twice the required Cp. The
>resistors are replaced by chokes. Either two static gaps are
>used or it could be fired by 4 stationary (and spatially separated)
>poles used in a rotary. This scheme needs NO rectifiers.
>    Some resistive Q-damping of the inductors may be required. It
>has not yet got past the conceptual stage as applied to TC's as

I've run the numbers on this scheme already, before settling on the
half-wave voltage doubler as the solution.  Reasons:

The R, L charging system runs a thin tightrope between isolating the
capacitors and getting in the way of the charging itself.

If only resistors were used, they would have to waste a great deal of
power.  They would tend to drain the capacitors as well when the gap
fires.

The necessary chokes are HUGE and must be adjustable if you want to
work at a variety of break rates.  You also need 2 per capacitor.

Because of the headache of this design (and I wanted to go for a
tripler!) I decided on the MUCH simpler voltage doubler with single
charging choke.  The End

Zap,
Mark