[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power curve

You wrote:

>Mark,
>
>I am seriously impressed with 25 foot spark length.  Is this with 18kv input?
> Are you using two capacitors in the primary, one to each side of the primary
>coil?

The 25 feet was had with 18KV charging 0.2uf (too big).  I was also getting
1KW / foot efficiency up to about 25KW.  Above that, I was just melting metal.
 The capacitor was made of two 0.1uf/35KVAC caps in parallel.  The power was
fed across the gap.

The coil is very large.  It is 4ft in diameter and 11ft tall (winding).  It is
wound with 5500ft of 14awg, 40KV silicone HV wire which had liquid silicone
being poured on it while winding (all very expensive).  The upper terminal is
a circle of seven 20in aluminum spheres forming a piecewise approximation of a
7 ft torus.  They connect via pipes to a central sphere.  The whole thing
stands 2 stories tall.  The coil with power supply live on an 18x8ft trailer.
The coil assembly is raised hydraulically with an on-board gantry system and
then the trailer is driven away.  Some day when I get a scanner, I'll post
some pictures of the beast.

>I think you are correct, the only way to increase the output from my present
>system is by raising the input voltage.  This is difficult since I have a
>14,400 volt pole pig and a 15,000 working voltage primary capacitor.

You are up against the usual problem.

Zap,
Mark