[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mark's Big Coil

Hi Mark'
I may have a solution to the meltimg metal.( I hope! )

>We use circuit breakers.

So do I, but my domestic supply only gives 20KVA per houshold.
Do you have your own distribution transformer?

>The gap was a hair-brained scheme of mine which consisted of two
>interrupters in series.  One interrupter had a 16" fiberglass wheel
>with many electrodes and ran at 3300rpm.  It also had 4 stationary
>electrode sets which were wired in series.  This was dubbed the
>"quenching interrupter".  The other interrupter ran at variable speed
>and had only 4 electrodes in the wheel.  The stationary electrodes
>covered a significant arc of the wheel so you were guaranteed some
>period of simultaneity with a high speed electrode coming into line.
>This was the "timing interrupter" and set the break rate.  So we had
>the best of all possible worlds, a variable break rate interrupter that
>always ran at top speed!

Yes, Richard Hull has done some pioneering work with series/stationary
rotor configurations. I hear that a rotor surrounded by six statonary
electrodes all in series either side of the 12 electrodes on the rotor
(in this example)will give a quenching far better than most currenty used
systems. On one of Ed wingates systems the electrodes(1/4 inch Tungsten
were only WARM after 3 minutes at 8KVA. I beieve that one of Eds' gaps
with the 1/2 inch Tungsten electrodes might serve you well! Perhaps two
rotors on a double shafted motor might handle it. I would put only 3 'series'
per side in this arrangment I think. I think go for twelve for a total number
of series/rotary gaps. I just hear these things..................
You'lle end up with damn close gaps, but it should be worth it!   :)

>We eventually abandoned the high speed wheel and went with the timing
>wheel and 6 series gaps, but these were rather hokey and I'd rather not
>talk about it.

>No problem at all.  Pictures soon.

Well, I cant wait! Send those pictures!

Marcus