[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power curve

You wrote:

>Hi all,
>         I was interested to read Mark B.'s solution to this.
>> My plan for my big coil is to voltage double (with diodes and caps)
>the
>> 18KV from the transformer to produce about 45KVDC which I will feed
>> the primary cap through a charging choke and series diode (I
>already
>> have these devices).
>
>Mark, would you mind posting the type numbers and ratings of the
>diodes you are going to use please ?
>
>Malcolm

Yes, but don't laugh.  We made a number of these diodes some years
back.  Each diode consists of fifty 6A100's in series.  These look like
a fat 1N4000 type plastic diode and are not expensive.  They are 6A -at-
1000V each, making each assembly 6A at 50,000V.  Each diode has a 1Meg,
2W resistor and .005uF, 1.5KV ceramic disc capacitor in parallel with
it.  We had a 4 man diode weaving party one day and just put them all
together.  The component strings are stuck down 2" PVC pipe with end
caps with leads.  A piece of tape wrapped near one end of the pipe
marks the cathode.  They look like diodes from _Land of the Giants_.

My original setup on the big coil was DC.  I rectified the 18KV
transformer (45KVA rating) using a 4 diode full wave bridge.  This was
run to a choke input filter with a 7uF, 40KV capacitor.  The capacitor
then went through a charging choke and series diode to the primary.  As
I said before, I used too large a primary capacitor, and suffered from
poor efficiency.

You had to ask,
Zap,
Mark