[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New Coil!

 * Carbons Sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting Stan Harle <lazer-at-netcom-dot-com>:

> Now, while we're on practical matters, there are two things that
> have been driving me nuts:

> 1) How do you effectively cut PVC squarely? I managed, but it was
> tedious and slow.

Get a metal strip tape measure. Start with the factory cut end. Measure
back, then mark all around the circumference. Score the mark with a
light saw fitted with a metal cutting blade (hack saw). Once the groove
is scored, cut with a rough cut saw of any type.

Another option is taking the work to a local craftsman, machine, or
plastics shop. For a couple of $ they will square cut the piece.

> 2) How do you get the primary into a flat spiral? Again, I seem to
> have managed, but it was a royal pain.

This one is accomplished with pure time. It is not easy, and neither
is coil building. Wait until you wrestle a 100 foot length of 1/2 or
3/4 inch tubing into a 15 turn flat spiral. It takes not days... but
weeks or even months before the conductor is "trained".

> Initial test of the capacitors indicate that 3 liter coke bottles
> don't have very much dielectric strength. Wish I'd gotten pictures
> of the corona.

I could have (should have?) warned you about this. This material is
much too thin. You need to look at "tupperware" like thicknesses in
your dielectric... (was that a hint or what?).

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12