[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Powerstats and smaller variacs

I have a 120/240v 28A powerstat that I use to run my neon sign transformer
bank.  I have a 60 and three 30 ma. 15kV transformers in this bank.  The
variac is used to regulate 120V current, but I hooked it up to the 240V
inputs.  That way I get 0-120V out.  I have never had any problems at all.
I don't see any problem with using the variac in this manner, as long as
the current doesn't exceed 28A, which is "impossible" (note the "'s) since
it is on a 15A circuit with a 15A breaker.  The 240V powerstat gives me the
flexibility to upgrade to 240V input when I want to.

Chip