[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil

Some time ago, Scott White wrote....

> I was offered a "tesla coil" that was supposedly used in an old atomic
> accelerator. The guy who's selling doesn't know much and the description is
> sketchy. All he says is that it has spark gaps and it says on the side that
> it has an output of 20 RF Amperes. He also says that he has never seen it in
> operation so I don't even know if it works. Does anyone know what this thing
> is or what it does? More importantly, is it worth buying?

This is fundamentally a pulse transformer if it's the accelerator
type coil I'm thinking of. It will probably have a pri-sec k of about
0.6 to attain full output voltage in 2 half cycles of operation. As
far as I understand, it is used for generating accelerating voltages
for charged particle beams. Also, it would have been operated in
a tank containing pressurized SF6 if it's this type. Typically,
these coils have a conical shaped primary running almost the full
height of the secondary to attain the high value of k. It would
be fascinating to me to see one "in the flesh".

Malcolm