[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help in calculations

Tesla List wrote:

> >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzSun Apr 28 22:01:46 1996
> Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 09:38:51 +1200
> From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Help in calculations
>
> Hi all,
>          I've been following this with interest....
> > >Jim,
> > >I accept that the neon be treated as a current source, but how do you
> > >rewrite the classical voltage vs time charge equation to use a current
> > >source. I know its more complicated than just replacing the "e" (charging
> > >voltage) with 120ma and a "z" calculated from the neon's voltage and
> > >current capacity.
> inductor on the transformer primary does much the same thing as an
> ideal transformer is a lossless component, only in this case, the
> secondary windings do produce the extra voltage.
<
<< Big snip >>

> Open to other ideas on this,
> Malcolm

Malcolm
Just some food for thought. The safety gaps on my neons when using the
srg are set to about .25". The total gap length in the rotary is about
.12" for 2 gaps, .24" for 4 gaps, and .48" for 8 gaps. The 2 gap system
gives the best performance as previously outlined. I am definitely seeing
resonance charging since the meter directly across the neon secondary can
get to 20kv+ but the safety gaps do not fire when the cap matches the
neon and the primary is tuned accordingly and the terminal capacitance on
the secondary is large enough.
I am setting up a second srg which will run in parallel with a the
first gap. By adjusting the firing point of each srg separately I will be
able to cause 2 firings per half cycle and I will be able to adjust
exactly when each firing will occur. This may help to show if 2 firings
per cycle will process more power. If it works, it will bw a simple
matter to implement the extra contacts on a single rotor. I would still
like a mathmatical solution to this problem.

Skip Greiner