[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coils

Malcolm,

Let's think about this question.   You have obviously been mulling this
matter over a bit.  That the sign of a first rate coiler.   If the primary
is tuned to a frequency X then it will ring up to this frequency only.  Now
the secondary with its top loading also has a frequency of resonance which
should ideally be X also.  If, while firing, the secondary has corona and an
ionized shell about it, this loads the secondary or effectively shifts its
frequency a bit.  (always downward)   If the primary is tuned to X and the
secondary is now tuned to Y (lower loaded frequency) more  primary turns are
required regardless of whether the primary sees the secondary or is coupled
to it during subsequent firings.  Otherwise, the primary is just not going
to do its job very well.

 I somehow get the impression that you might think that the sparks and
illuminated corona must be at full tilt to create this frequency shift.
 Ionized air, especially around a big machine, has a long lifetime  (100's
of milliseconds)  and sparks are not necessary to lower the secondary
frequency prior to the next "pop" if the machine has been on a few moments.
  Machines with large terminal loadings are particularly sensitive to this
effect.  The best one can hope for is to actively fine tune the system under
operation.

Whether the primary circuit sees the secondary (bad quenching) or not will
rarely matter to the secondary and the ion cloud, other than to impede best
performance through poor quenching.  On big coils with large loadings, a
full extra turn is most often needed to bring the operating system into
resoance.

Richard Hull, TCBOR