[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Re:Teslathon 96? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 96 11:44:00 PDT
From: Richard Hull <RICHARDH-at-whitlock-dot-com>
To: bin <bin-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE: Re:Teslathon 96?

Kevin,

I am the titular head of the TCBOR and it appears none of the other guys are
on the net yet.  I wouldn't be on here either, but for the free access here
at work.  I am the maker and seller of all the video tapes, too.

It is not possible to shrink quarters to dime size using any standard Tesla
coil equipment!  This is a special set up involving capacitive discharging
through a coil and giant energy storage capacitor banks.  We show examples
on our tapes.

There is little way to briefly describe the water arc explosion experiments
or the wire exploding experiments here without violating the Tesla coil only
nature of this board.
This work is ongoing serious research with Dr. Peter Graneau of MIT and
others in our research water arc group.  I do cover the work a bit in one or
two of our report tapes.  Some most unusal characteristics are noted when
dielectric explosions occur in water!  Basically an arc is forced to
discharge underwater in a violent explosion in a well designed accelerator
or "gun".  Energy output readings are taken and results analyzed.  It is a
glorified spark plug under water.  The energyies required are 1000-6000
joules. with voltage running as high as 25KV into capacitor banks of up to
20.0 ufd at the stated voltages.  Definitely not Tesla coiler fare.  As
little as 50 joules can be used in small experiments.  Wire explosions are
in the range of 500-3000 joules of input energy.  The crucial part of the
system is wiring and switching.

X-rays are emitted from a bulb in coil use when the filament emitts
electrons in a vacuum via the high field emmision principle.  X rays are
generated when they strike the glass walls of the bulb.  Normally, these are
rather soft, but be careful.    Our member, Bill Richards, received rather
severe X-Ray burns when powering up a hydrogen thyratron with a half wave
tesla coil.  Proper shielding is a must if the coil has a good deal of power
behind it.

Our tapes could easily be offered for $10.00 each if Video Club of America
would just make up 8 million copies of each tape and distribute them.  As it
is, I must assemble and copy and mail each one myself and I won't do it at a
loss.  Our tapes are absolutely free to all people who mail in a full two
hour tape of their Tesla coil work!!  We have always had this in place and
guess what?  We have recieved only about 7 tapes from regular coilers over
these many years.  It seems they find out real quick that it is very tought
to assemble and mail off a two hour tape on a regular basis.  Next time you
pick up a feature length movie for $14.95   You must realize that only in
the coutless millions can this tape be distributed, profitably, for that
price.

Richard Hull, TCBOR