[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging -- Success!

<<
 Hello All:

 	First a Thank You to Malcom and Jim for their thoughts on likely areas
 to look for my system problem.  I believe I have located the "BUG", it
 was the rotary gap.  One of the two pillow blocks supporting the main
 shaft had never been fully tightened during the original assembly.  They
 came looser and created a significant problem.  Yea, dumb as a bag of
 rocks is an acceptable comment!  Knocked the Lovejoy shaft coupling back
 about 3/8" along the motor shaft.  The good news is no real damage was
 done, except for needing a total realignment.  That is now done and I'm
 in the re-assembly stage of activity.
 	My original spark output was not real good, when power input is
 considered.  After putting in the new analog meters I beleive that I had
 about 4000 watts in and about a 6 foot spark out max .  I examined my
 primary/secondary coil placement visually and the first or lowest
 secondary turn is exactly even with the extreme top of the primary
 copper tube.  I never had even a hint of an arc from anywhere along the
 secondary to anything else.  I feel I could afford to raise the primary
 for a small increase in coupling, without smoke occurring!.  I designed
 the primary so that I can raise it with nylon spacers.  My first thought
 was to fire things up again and verify I'm back to where I was with the
 repaired rotary, then raise the primary 1/2" for some more coupling.
 	I would appreciate any comments on where others have found the primary
 secondary coupling point to work out the best,relative to the bottom of
 the secondary.  How far up?  I realize every system will be
 significantly different, but comments would still be of interest.
 Thanks in advance for any comments

 Chuck

Chuck,

I have a 6" secondary with a primary wound at 30 degree inclination with 3/8"
copper tubing.  I started with the lowest secondary winding about even with
the lowest or first primary winding.  At lower power levels this was ok.  As
I increased power, I had to back off on the coupling and now have raised the
secondary up about 5 or 6 inches.

Ed Sonderman