[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary cap placement

Tesla List wrote:

> >From tesla-at-america-dot-comWed Aug 28 22:09:10 1996
> Date: Wed, 28 Aug 96 08:56 EDT
> From: Bob Schumann <tesla-at-america-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Primary cap placement
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am not sure but believe it was Ed Sonderman
> who has asked about placing the primary cap
> just below the primary/secondary. What was
> the verdict on this. Is it okay to do? I plan
> on mounting my capacitor to the underside of
> my upper tier - the base in which my primary
> form sits and my secondary.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Schumann

Hi Bob:

	I also remember the discussion on cap placement, since it motivated me
to relocate mine.  I had placed my cap horizontally 9" beneath the
primary, on a stand to reduce lead lengths.  As I recall, a point was
made about the horizontal position being the best choice but to keep it
at a large distance.  What large was meant to be I don't know, but mine
is now directly beneath the outer primary turn and at a distance of 25"
or so.  It hasn't blown yet, but I do have very limited run time on the
system.  I thought I saved the discussion on the logic behind
recommending the horizontal position, but I can't find it today.  Good
Luck with construction.

Chuck