[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

stepped leaders

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-netThu Aug 15 21:17:47 1996
> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 20:49:50 -0500
> From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Safety FAQ is here -- draft, asking for comments.
>
> >>From sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-comTue Aug 13 15:19:09 1996
> >Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:50:57 -0700
> >From: Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: Safety FAQ is here -- draft, asking for comments.

> ><SNIP>
> >> Admittedly, when the wind is a blowin', the ion cloud around the
> >> toroid is not a collectin'.
> >
> >> I merely wish to say that I think more research is needed here
> >> before we can really understand what is happening around the top end.
> >>
> >> As for your laudable attempt to create a performance category by merely
> >> observing the discharge, this may not be so easy as first imagined.
> >> Standardization system or not however, I'm sure no one would object
> >> to having their system performance classed as #1! ;-)
> >>
> >> Even if we don't come to understand the science (although I'm sure we
> >> will), just getting to the point of throwing long, white hot
> >> lightning bolts is a definitely neat level to achieve.
> >>
> >> Regards ,rwstephens.
>
> >Robert:
> > I have photographs of my 720va coil exhibiting just this phenomenon
> >when operating in a very light breeze. I have never been able to tie the
> >jagged sparks directly to the break rate bacause I don't know how to
> >make  a measurement. I estimate the length of the "steps" in the spark
> >to be 2" to 3". One thought is that the spark is actually growing in
> >length from the bottom which is eminating from the toroid rather than
> >growing from the tip of the spark thru conduction of current in the
> >spark itself. I would be interested in other comments on this subject.
> >
> >Skip
>
> Skip, All,
>
> I believe that the phenomenon which is being bandied about where some
> people believe that the discharge channel is growing on itself is
> completely illusory and false.  I hereby offer my hypothesis.
>
> If we could, through high speed eyes, observe every single
> streamer that rushes out from our toroid, as an individual spark, and
> not confuse it with the one that flashed 2.5 milliseconds earlier, or
> the next one to flash 2.5 milliseconds later (based on a break rate
> of 400 PPS), then I think we would see a streamer that exists in a short space
> of time which has one fixed length during its entire duration!
>
> In a rotary break powered system, operating on 60 Hz, the system
> capacitor goes through a cycle where it is sometimes completely
> discharged (zero point in the 60 Hz waveform) to where it is half
> charged (45 degree points in the waveform) to where it is fully
> charged (90 degree points in the waveform), and at varying voltages
> [...]

Robert and All

My system is powered by a synchronous break which provides one break for
each half of the 60 hz input at approximately 90 degrees, thereby the
capacitor is always at the same charge when the "break" occurs. The
jagged sparks referred to above are about 2" to 3" long and are connected
one to the next by an interconnecting arc which is .5" to 1" long. This
series of connected short sparks makes up what then appears to be the
whole long discharge from the toroid. If there are, say, 10 steps or
zigzags then the total length of the spark is 20" to 30" long. Then the
spark STOPS ! Sometimes the individual sparks are short and sometimes
they are much longer. The questions which come to my mind are:
1. Does each zigzag represent one ring-up of the secondary?
2. If 1 is true , is each zigzag added at the toroid end of the spark or
at the far end of the spark?
3 Why the random lengths ? The secondary obviously rings for hundreds of
cycles....it is very high Q.

Answers to these questions seem to bear heavily on the ion cloud which is
proposed to exist around the toroid and how it affects the toroidal
discharge and more importantly, at least to me, exactly what makes spark
grow to the longest possible length.
1. Is the spark current (power) or voltage driven (dependent)?
2. Why does a spark once started....cease ?
3. Can we find a way to keep a single spark activated and cause it to
continue to build along the supposed ionized channel ?
4. How about highly insulating the toroid except at one spot to
concentrate the discharge energy ?

Just some food for thought

Skip