[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Beating?

Tesla List wrote:

> >From tesla-at-america-dot-comFri Aug 23 22:11:39 1996
> Date: Fri, 23 Aug 96 09:33 EDT
> From: Bob Schumann <tesla-at-america-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Beating?
>
> I have read of beating but do not know if this is what
> I am experiencing.First if needed, here are my coil's
> specs:
> 9kv-at-30ma neon transformer.
> secondary: 4" prepared PVC 15" wind length 808 turns #21.
> primary: 9 turns 3/16' copper tubing conical form.
> Richard Quich type cylindrical spark gap
> 4" x 14" o.d. aluminum ducting torroid
> .01uf -at- 15kvdc cap (wimpy studs; probably made to be a
> filter cap - gets hot quick so shorts runs; can't wait until my
> CP caps arrive!)
> Recent D.C. Cox type protection circuit as experiment
> though I like what Richard Hull posted recently! I do
> run mine for short intervals so no determination can
> be made.
>
> Okay my observation:
>
> The Richard Quick spark gap has 6 gaps (7 tubes)
> If I use only 5 gaps (6 tubes), I get not the longest
> spark but it is smooth and fluidy. When I bring a
> grounded screwdriver to the torroid I get an evenly
> illuminated arc.
> When I employ the last gap (6 gaps), I get sparks
> of considerable longer distance but the sparks look
> and sounds very raspy, not smooth and not fluidy.
> When I bring the grounded screwdriver to the
> torroid now, I get a section in the middle of the
> arc that is much brighter than the majority of the
> arc. The illumination is not evenly dispersed.
> I have tried many tunings and coupling adjustments
> with both setups but the main observation still is
> prevelant. I do not know if this is 'beating' or not.
> I also wonder about my current cap since it has
> small studs as if were designed as a filter cap and
> gets hot quick.
> Does this symptom sound like something others
> have experienced?
> Would appreciate feedback :)
> Thanks all,
>
> Bob Schumann
> * If you understand, things are just as they are.
> *
> * If you do not understand, things are just as they are
> . *

Bob,

Think about what is going on.  The extra gap now takes the firing point
ever higher on the AC input sine.  It may even max out at the peak and
only one pop, sometimes none, are seen per alternation the energy to the
tank is now maximum, but infrequen and, or, intermittent.  You get long
sputtering sparks.  Your tranformer is also strained to the max.
Continue operating a neon like this and it's history!

Richard Hull, TCBOR