[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Radius of curvature and misc ramblings

Tesla List wrote:

> >From dwt-at-efn-dot-orgTue Aug 20 22:31:25 1996
> Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 12:52:32 -0700
> From: David Trimmell <dwt-at-efn-dot-org>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Radius of curvature and misc ramblings
>
> Hello all,
>
>  Well, I'v been messing around with toroids and just recently built a 6"
> x 20" one. That's the first 6" one I'v used. All my others are 4"
> diameter alluminum dryer duct, ranging from 12" to 22". So, after seting
> up the 6" x 20" playing with tune, placing my 4" x 22" and my 4" x 16"
> toroids all on top of the six incher (starting to look almost as weird
> as TCBOR's Alex Tajnsek's coil as depicted in R. Hull's Guide to the
> notes in photo #15) after finding the best tune I was getting over 52
> inch discharge, now thats 12 inches over what I was preveously getting.
> Thats about 2.5 times my resonators winding length of 20.5" x 4.5". My
> tank resonance is about 224 kHz, and being powered by a
> 15 kV -at- 120 mA neon. Now that 52 inches was comming off of a small wire
> I taped on the bottom toroid, so as to keep the thing from discharging
> threw the cealing of my basement (my girl friend got a small shock while
> walking across the floor overhead, not going to let that happen again!).
>  Now, this is what I really like about resonators, even my setup which
> really isn't that great of a design, as it was originaly designed for a
> 240 watt system (only a 6.5 inch diameter driver) can really be pushed
> by loading the terminal capicitance, they are just so much more flexible
> than the standard two coil setup!
>  So, now I am wondering if there is such a thing as 8" diameter
> alluminum dryer duct?
>
> David Trimmell <dwt-at-efn-dot-org>

David,

Welcome to the big arcs from small coils club!  We've been screamin' for
years about this.  The looks and niceties of a system have little to do
with spark length.  The proper terminal capacitance coupled with enough
power are the closest we'll come to a RX for super sparks.

Richard Hull, TCBOR