[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Big Triode Tubes

Quoting Dan Gowin <gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil>:

> Having a hard time trying to find those giant high power
> tubes for our Tesla coils. Inspect this sight:
> "http://www.svetlana-dot-com/".
> Apparently these tubes are still manufactured in Russia. I
> found an RCA 811A equivelent in there industrial stocks. They
> also have some tubes that I've never heard of, at huge
> voltages.

While there can be no doubt that the 811A is one of the most
popular tubes for use in CW Tesla coils I have doubts that this
tube is really the best solution. With the increased difficulty
in finding 811A in good condition at reasonable prices it would
seem prudent to find a better substitution. The "unheard of"
tubes sound interesting.

For my first tube coil I am planning on using the rugged and
powerful "light-house" triode tubes typically used in commercial
RF induction heaters. After speaking with an induction heating
engineer I am convinced that these type tubes are all but perfect
for high powered tube Tesla coils.

Try sending for a catalog from: Vacuum Tube Industries, Inc.
506 North Warren Avenue, P.O. Box 2009, Brockton, MA.  02405  USA
tel: 508-584-4500  tel: 800-528-5014  fax: 508-584-0096

They specialize in new and rebuilt 450 KC power tubes for
commercial RF induction heaters and carry a full line of new and
used plate & filament transformers, cooling loops, control
systems, etc.. These people have been very nice to me on the
phone and have a super catalog with many "one-off" rebuilt power
tubes that can be picked up cheaply.

my 2 cents

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12