[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Addendum-DC Tesla

> From tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com Tue Aug  6 00:00:14 1996
> Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 22:25:20 -0600
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Addendum-DC Tesla
> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>
> > Subject: Re: Addendum-DC Tesla
>
> >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comMon Aug  5 21:40:24 1996
> Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 10:34:50 -0700
> From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Addendum-DC Tesla
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzFri Aug  2 22:53:03 1996
> > Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 17:41:01 +1200
> > From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: Addendum-DC Tesla
> >
> > Richard,
> >          I have noted an interesting phenomenon that might be
> > related to the field emission rectification......
> >
> > <v. big snip>
> > > In the strictest sense, I am putting in AC (wall outlet) and getting DC
> > > and thus rectification is taking place, but not as it is currently dealt
> > > with at the base level of undestanding.  Nothing magic here... just an
> > > interesting phenomenon to investigate.
> >
> > On a small coil setup operated single shot (as much for safety as
> > anything else), I've found some rectification going on (at least
> > that's how it seems). If you hold a metal rod (insulated shoes)
> > near enough to the terminal to attract a fat stream of whiskers that
> > end in a point at the screwdriver, you can get very definite and
> > heavy jolts (definitely not AC). Holding the rod close enough to
> > attract a single bright discharge channel kills this effect
> > completely (not all the time but mostly). This sounds a bit like your
> > experiment with the Maxwell cap. I'd be very surprised if this didn't
> > charge an isolated capacitance to very high voltages.
> >
> > For what it's worth,
> > Malcolm
>

> Malcolm,
>
> This effect can also be noted with a small running coil system.  You are
> the isolated capacity.  as you approch the coil with a wrench, or other
> metal object, as you reach out and fuzz emmits from the terminal of the
> coil, a number of hard pulsed jolts are felt.  I am sure this is DC
> pulsing related to the rep rate of the gap.  Naturlly, if you rush in and
> let the white arcs play to the wrench, you feel nothing.  Don't try this
> with big coils, naturally.
>
> I have every confidence that you are right and that the energy is no more
> powerful (read dangerous) than it is, due to the load a person offers
> both resistively and capacitively to a small coil.  Still it is
> un-nerving!
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

To All,
I have noticed this effect using a large globed light bulb (on a small coil).
I thought it strange that just out of striking distance I felt 'shocks' while
closer (actually drawing arcs) I felt no sensations.
Richard, is this where you charged the isolated electrode?
Just curious about this complex system with so few parts.
Dave Huffman