[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnetization of Toroid

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comTue Aug  6 11:25:10 1996
> Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 04:45:15 -0700
> From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Magnetization of Toroid
>
> You wrote:
>
> snip
>

> >I have printd out your info here.  I will perform the experiment soon
> >to check your data.
> >
> >One important point... What is your toroid made from?  If it is
> >aluminum, it can't be magneitized!  If steel or even stainless, some
> >form of magnetization is possible.  The AC should never magnetize
> >anything.
>
> The toroid is made from 3" galvanized steel stove pipe elbows covered
> with bright aluminum tape.  The toroid is 10-1/2" X 3" with a flat
> steel inner plate.  There are twelve flat "fascets" on the
> outer diameter of the toroid.
>
> I now have a 10" corn bread griddle made of soft iron and it appears
> nonmagnetized with the compass.  It has a 5 " handle from one side and
> hopefully the sparks will issue from the handle.  If there is DC, it
> should be induced to exit from the handle.  Later, I may cut the handle
> off and grind it smooth.  Also, being soft iron it should be easy to
> demagnetize between experiments.  I also plan to use a flat round steel
> pizza pan.  This experiment should be much more accurate using a flux
> gate magnetometer rather than a compass.
>
> snip
>

> >Richard Hull,TCBOR

Richard,

You are right, the fluxgate will be a bit more sensitive, but you might
not have it survive if it is turned on while a coil is running so be
careful.  I have sent my share of instruments to the great instrument
shop in the sky while taking measurements around working TCs.

Richard Hull, TCBOR