[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ribbon vs. tubing

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996 22:35:59 -0700 Tesla List- Chip Atkinson
<tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com> writes:

>Greetings,
>
>I have started making my next coil.  It will be a 6" model,
>certainly bigger than my garage :-)
>
>I have been thinking about the primary and had a question.  I
>realized that the flashing that I use for capacitors comes in 4
>or 6 inch widths. It is significantly cheaper than copper tubing,
>and I was wondering if I used ribbon of this flashing that had
>the same surface area as a tube of the proper diameter (say 1/2")
>if it would have the same current carrying capabilities and would
>work as well.
>
>I'm up for the experiment if no one knows, but I'd hate to just
>waste the money if someone has tried it before.

Hi Chip, I've built coils with both tubing and flat striping for the
primaries and it doesn't seem to make much difference. On the theoretical
side, at the frequencies we are using the currents are
only traveling in a thin layer on the surface of the conductors, so as
long as the surface area was equal it should work the same.
I only see one downside namely coronal leakage at the sharp edges of the
strip. In the coils I used the power was under a kilowatt so it wouldn't
be a great loss but if your thinking of a pole pig, Hmmmm..??

			       Sincerely

				\\\|///
			       (  -at- -at-  )
			   Alfred A. Skrocki