[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wine bottle Tesla coils

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:25:02 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
writes:
>>From ulflyer-at-juno-dot-com Fri Dec  6 23:36:08 1996
>Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:31:33 PST
>From: Stephen G Stanton <ulflyer-at-juno-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Wine bottle Tesla coils
>
>Ed:  the fuel-soaked string works.  Got to move fast, once the flame
>goes
>out, and should use eye protection.  You need to dunk the neck in real
>cold water, and plink.
>
>If you have a length of nichrome wire you can wrap it in a single
>loop,
>hook it to a high current battery or a lowvoltage trans of some kind;
>same result.
>
>Stephen

There is an article in the Dec.' 90 issue of Popular Electronics (p.36)
called "The Hot Wire Bottle Cutter"  that I think is what you need.  It
shows how to build a simple bottle cutter using nichrome wire and just a
few other parts. It also shows how to build a simple jig for scoring the
bottle to get straight cuts and in the right spot.  (A tapered bottle
would be hard to cut free-hand!)  It evens gives sources for the wire if
you have trouble finding it.  Any local library should have back issues
that you can go to.  If you have trouble finding it, e-mail me direct.

Kerry "Kilroy" Ludwig
Kilroy1-at-juno-dot-com