[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New coil not working

Hello George,

> For about 15 seconds my new coil, my first, did what i expected. It produces
> branching arcs about 12 inches in length and looked as if some tuning and
> bigger caps would do the trick. Then it sputtered to a stop with only the 5
> static gaps showing any action at all.

Sounds like a cap failure to me. Did the gap discharge change at all?
It may have switched from disruptive mode to a power arc. A VOM is not
a great test of caps. You have to apply working voltages to really
check them out. A capacitance meter could help to see whether their
value has changed. You could check them with a known inductance and
sig gen and o'scope.

Malcolm