[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)

You wrote:

snip

>Another possible experiment would be to directly measure the DC
>component of the current at the base of the tesla coil. Unfortunately,
>I'd guess that DC current component would be about the order of a
>small Van De Graf --- maybe 10-100 microamps.
>
>-Ed Harris

I have recently performed a series of experiments measuring TC base
currents using a Weston Thermo-galvanometer.  These preliminary
experiments indicate that the major currents in TC output are
electrostatic in nature.  Currents appear to be about three orders of
magnitude larger than above -- about 10-100 milliamps in the low power
experimental range selected.

These little meters are tough!  They measure both DC and AC currents as
positive rms current and have good response time.  They start
deflection when the primary sparkgap fires, even before there is spark
output from the TC secondary.  They detract little, if any, from coil
performance and are a very useful adjunct in coil tuning and
monitoring.

Recent experiments confirm a major role for electrostatic electricity
in a resonating classical TC secondary.  This does not negate the
necessity of EM coupling of a classic primary and TC secondary.  Energy
is electromagnetically coupled by induction between them.  Thus classic
TCs are not true electrostatic machines such as Van De Graf or
Wimshurst machines, but are electrical hybrids.

These findings call out for a 'true' electrostatic TC.  Magnifiers or
'extra coils' currently probably come close to this, since they are
effectively shielded from the EM fields of their drivers.
Instrumentation for measurement of magnifier base currents and fields
must be developed.  Ultimately a pure electrostatic driver will be
developed.  This is a true Teslarian goal.

RWW