[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Colorado coiler teslathon( RF coils )

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996 23:02:36 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
writes:

>>From ASyme-at-aol-dot-com Tue Dec  3 22:47:12 1996
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:04:29 -0500
>From: ASyme-at-aol-dot-com
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Colorado coiler teslathon( RF coils )
>
>Subj:	Re: Colorado coiler teslathon
>Date:	11/26/96
>To:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>Interesting you should ask .. a few years ago I tried building what
>you would
>call a bi-polar coil that I planed to run at 4mhz. the output of the
>coil
>went to an ozone generating cell, my idea was to see if raising the
>frequency
>of an ozone generator to the RF range wouls increase the efficiency of
>the
>unit ( electric ozone generators usually run around 8-10% efficient).
>The
>output of my Kenwood TS-530s was feed into a Dentron Jr antenna tuner
>to get
>a balanced output for the TC primary ... to make a long story short,
>the end
>result was that I was never able to get the tuner to handle the
>impedance of
>the TC primary ...when I tuned it to resonance, the tuner would start
>arcing
>inside.. I should have set up the primary to a better match .. but It
>was one
>of those projects that never got completed ... I think if you set up a
>TC to
>operate at RF frequencies you will get a corona rather than long
>sparks ..
>much different effects .. you also need to worry about QRM effects
>..even a
>good Faraday cage will leak and if it leaked too much, the FCC my ask
>what
>you are doing!! ..but it is an area of coiling that needs to be looked
>at ..
>I don't know of anyone who has done much work with coils at RF
>frequencies
>....... Al Syme (KG0QJ)

  Al, You should have eliminated the primary and tied the
tuner output right to the secondary coil, the primary coil Z was too low
for the tuner to match and also most
likely looked totally reactive in nature.

                          Mark Graalman WB8JKR