[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

> From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com Mon Dec  9 20:19:26 1996
> Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 01:34:11 -0800
> From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)
> Snip
>

> > > Anyway, in the case
> > of the tesla coil, I would imagine ( Richard?) that the rectification
would
> > be more effective (per watt expended) when the coil is producing lots
of
> > corona and not so many arcs to ground.
> >
> > Another possible experiment would
> > be to directly measure the DC component of the current at the base of
the
> > tesla coil. Unfortunately, I'd guess that DC current component would be
> > about the order of a small Van De Graf --- maybe 10-100 microamps.
> >
> > -Ed Harris
>
> Ed,
>
> As I have stated many times before, the process is indeed enhanced with
> corona emmision and to the detriment of Rf output.  Furthermore, I have
> always said that the discharge to ground grossly reduces the DC
> component.  Next, The electrostatic component is a purely currentless
> phenomena for maximum effect and ultimately may not even be ion related.
>  (lotsa' work needed here)  If power is required, I would tend to agree
> that the system is about like an equivalent van d'graff system and is an
> ionic mechanism.
>
> I feel that rectification is not at work here!  The DC components from
> Tesla systems have been recorded by us out to 20-50 feet from the corona
> limit with a 20 watt system.  No corona discharge effects of a rectifying

> nature out here.
>
> Richad Hull, TCBOR

I must've missed your earlier posts, etc...

I don't understand why you discount rectification. If you get something
DC from something AC, I'd say (almost by definition) that you've got
rectification no matter how small it might be. If there are a suprplus
of negative ions being generated due to "rectification" near the tesla
coil terminal, then they will repel each other and be flung far away from
the discharge terminal, no?

-Ed Harris