[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rob's Coil Status

>>From coco-at-astroman-dot-com Thu Feb 15 13:12 MST 1996
>From: coco-at-astroman-dot-com
>Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 13:11:56 -0500
>To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com, Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com,
>        KLINEDA-at-UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU, QUANTUM-at-UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU,
>        WMEYER-at-scientia.up.ac.za, bhaley-at-shore-dot-net, brad.alheim-at-the-spa-dot-com,
>        frerichs-at-zfe.siemens.de, froula-at-cig.mot-dot-com, haba-at-snakemail.hut.fi,
>        scott-at-csustan.csustan.edu, stegmann-at-michelob.wustl.edu,
>        wl-josh-tw-at-society-dot-com, wsbusr3-at-urc.tue.nl
>Subject: Rob's Coil Status
>
>Well, I have finally had a chance to get to work on my coil.
>
>The Secoonday is complete:
>876 turns of 22AWG on 8"PVC form
>The OD oof the forrm ended closer to 8.50" with epoxy seal and all
>Copper ground plate as per Richard's suggestion.
>Top and bottom closed with 0.50" white plexi.
>Sealed ith another layer of two part epoxy.
>Looks good.
>
>I have located my capacitors...
>I have three Maxwell Lab rated:
>0.010 uf
>50kv
>tested at 0.0106uf
>Equiv. series ind.:0.02uh
>
>I also have four 40kv doorknob caps for use in the filter section.
>
>Power suppply:
>15Kv, 60ma  times 2 for a total of 15kv -at- 120ma. (neon)
>
>I am going to start on the primary on Sunday...
>
>Robert DelBueno

Hello Robert and othe interested coilers,
        I just completed winding a very similar coil: 8 inch diameter, 26.25
inch length, wound with 21 A.W.G. wire.  After examining solenoidal, flat
spiral, and saucer shaped primary geometries, I have decided on a flat
spiral.  (A saucer geometry would also work well.)  I have .025 uF total
capacitance, and expect to operate at about 150 kHz, which is similar to
your coil.
        My primary will consist of 3/8 inch soft copper tubing in a flat
spiral with an inside diameter of 12 inches, and turn to turn spacing of
0.75 inches.  Initially, I will use 50 feet, but am making the coil former
larger so I can extend this to about 75 feet later, as I expect to
eventually operate around 100 kHz.  I will initially have about 10 turns,
and expect to operate around turn number 9 for 150 kHz.  At the moment, I am
still in need of some plastic for the coil former, so construction of this
coil is on hold.  Other coil construction continues, however.  BTW, If you
build a coil similar to this, expect to operate it with the bottom turn of
the secondary about 2-3 inches above the primary turns, yielding a coupling
coefficient of about 0.2 or so.
Regards,
Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D.