[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformers in the UK

Richard,

Thanks for suggestion of microwave transformers and I for one would appreciate
more details on this.
Once I get the FET circuit working (sometime between Monday and the end of the
centuary)
then a traditional coil is the next project.

I've been phoning a couple of UK surplus dealers looking for neon transformers.
One guy has Gresham oil filled transformers, 110v primaries, and 3k at 280mA
secondaries,
for transmitters originally.
A couple in series would give 220v primary, 6kv at 280mA secondary.

I don't think I'll take him up on it at the moment,he's in Somerset, each
transformer is very heavy
for one man to lift, they're L50 each ($75), brand new boxed. plus tax, plus
shipping.

If I did go back and make an offer, would 2 give decent results (2' of spark
would be enough in my garage!)
or would I need 4, and if I got 4 and put the secondaries in series what risk is
there of the insulation
to the primaries breaking down. (added to the risk of financial breakdown).

If anyone else in the UK is interested it's Mayflower Electronics  phone 01984
631825.
(the original shipping company of that name caused us no end of trouble)

Alan Sharp UK,