[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformers

Steve writes...

> What is the best way to try to see if a transformer (pole or potential)
> is good using only a DVOM?  Is it just a matter of making sure the
> terminals aren't open circuited, and that the LV and HV sides aren't
> shorted together (assuming they're really not electrically connected),
> or is there more to it than that?

A few ideas from me (NOT an exhaustive list) :

Check the turns ratio using a 50/60Hz signal from a signal generator
Check for o/c windings
Check for pri leakage to case - a megger should be adequate for the
      low voltage side
A DVOM measuring in the 10's of MOhms range is OK for a cursory look-
      see for pri/sec leakage but not a definitive test where 20kV+ of
      isolation is concerned.
A winding resistance check is probably a worthwhile exercise

An idea might be to contact a power utility or transformer company
and find out what tests they do. They probably have a printed schedule

Malcolm