[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Seagate Quench Gap

> * Originally By: Bob Schumann <tesla-at-AMERICA.COM>
> * Originally To: Richard Quick
> * Originally Re: Seagate Quench Gap

[snip]

>Here is the concept:
>
>                                   |    | threaded nylon or teflon rod
>                                   |    |
>                       --------------------------------  3.5 platter
>               ------------------------------------------------ 5.25 platter
>                (    ) -------------------------------- (    )
>                (    )             |    |               (    )  5" rubber o-rin
>                (    } -------------------------------- (    )
>               ------------------------------------------------
>                       ---------------------------------
>                                   |    |
>                            (more platters as needed)
>
>Each 5.25 platter has a 3.5 platter attached dead center on both sides.
>I will call this a spark layer.
>Each spark layer (except the end ones) are separated and made air tight by
>have a 5" diameter thin o-ring between spark layers.
>The spark layers are placed on a threaded teflon or nylon rod so that teflon
>or nylon nuts be screwed on both ends to both lock out air and squish
>the spark layers closer together as needed for adjustment. I will have extra
>spark layers on hand to add and to accomodate more voltage input should I
>choose to do so.

About 1.5 years ago, I had this same idea before I was ever on this list.
Kristian Ukkonen and I had quite a few e-mail exchanges about it, and he
ultimately came up with the best idea, I think. Instead of having the thing
air-tight and separated by rings of whatever, he came up with this:

                     | |                   | |
       (-----------------------------)     | |  <--- nylon or brass rod
       (-----------------------------)     | |
                     | |     (--------------------------)
       (-----------------------------)     | |
                     | |

This way, the plates could be mounted on nylon or brass rods, (depending on
how you would like to make the connections), and each shaft would be mounted
onto a motor so that the plates would spin, thus using all (most) of the
plate area while constantly presenting a cooler surface for the spark. They
wouldn't have to turn very fast. I would think 240 RPM would be fine. It's
just a guess though.
The design eliminates almost all of the problems associated with a
directly-stacked gap. Thanks Kristian. :)

>I really do not want to give up this mini-project of the quech gap because
>I believe it would be great for my in-house neon sign transformer Tesla
>coil.   I anxiously await the groups comments :)
>Thanks.....................Bob Schumann

I have never implemented the design because I haven't needed anything that
powerful. (Until now ;) I have some ancient 18" platters I'm going to try it
with. :) We'll see how it goes about this time next year, I predict. :)

Dan  <klineda-at-univscvm.csd.sc.edu>

QWK/Blue Wave  "If all else fails, throw it away."   (Hehe, Just kidding :)
--
    Identity is everything:
      If you don't know who you are,