[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor voltage rat

Quoting Ed Sonderman (Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com):
Re: Capacitor voltage rating
> I do think we should add an addendum to the capacitor build
> instructions that discusses voltage ratings.  Everytime someone
> blows one of these he has just lost $80 to $100 and a lot of
> time.  I would like Richard Quick's opinion on this.

I have no problem with this at all. Obviously the material is
pertinent or we would not be discussing it. I have blown a few of
these caps as well, until I got smart and constructed four of
them at the same time for use in series/parallel to get a ~.02 uF
at the required 12-15 KVAC rms working voltage. After a year or
so the oil is fully absorbed into the roll and they have every
appearance of holding up to 12 KVAC rms without difficulty. I
agree that if I were really going to stress the tank circuit I
would want to place .060 mil dielectric homemade caps in series
to back them up against the possibility of failure.

That's my opinion for what it is worth.

Richard Quick
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12