[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank Circuit Wire...

tim said,

>In my continuing quest as an internal packrat, I came across some rather large
>wire (cable), and wanted to know if it was suitable for primary tank circuit
>wiring.  This is the only thing I could find out about the wire itself:
>
>        2/0 AWG
>        325 strands/parellel
>        Diameter of Conductor: 0.269" (copper)
>        Insulator Build:  0.094" (94mil)
>        Rated Current:  298A
>
>Someone also told me it looked like Locomotive cable...what ever that is.
>
>Any comments or opinions???
>
>Tim

I'm using 1/4" copper tubing for my primary. What you have is welding cable.
Locomotive cable is something like Alpha #1111 (2 month old memory here)
3000+ strands of #34 A.W.G. 1.5"++ in diameter. Forgot the current rateing.
It's used to connect the electric generators in a desiel(sp) electric
locomotive engine to the electric motors on the trucks (wheel holders). It
has to be flexable while the locomotive goes arround curves.

                        jim