[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RF Spectrum

At 11:00 AM 1/12/96 +0700, you wrote:
>>From will-at-eletex.elec.ryukoku.ac.jp Thu Jan 11 20:28 MST 1996
>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 96 11:03:31 JST
>From: William Reiken <will-at-eletex.elec.ryukoku.ac.jp>
>To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
>Subject: RF Spectrum
>
>Hi all,
>	I just want to clear up an issue here.  So any advice is helpfull.
>
>	Now on the tesla coil, my very basic understanding is that the coil
>is really nothing more than an 'Antenna' wrapped around a pole.  And as an
>Antenna it gives off an RF frequency based upon its capacitance.
>
>	Now the RF Spectrum is (according to my basic electronics book):
>
>	15Khz to 30Khz		VLF (Very Low Frequency)
>	30Khz to 300Khz		LF  (Low Frequency)
>	300Khz to 3MHz		MF  (Medium Frequency)
>	3MHz to 30MHz		HF  (High Frequency)
>	30MHz to 300MHz		VHF (Very High Frequency)
>	300MHz to 3000MHz	UHF (Ultra High Frequency)
>	3000MHz to 30,000MHz	SHF (Super High Frequency)
>
>	Since these are all Radio Frequency's.  Can the tesla coil operate
>in all these Frequencys'?  Or is there a upper limit to the tesla coil?
>
>							Will...

 The Tesla Coil is far more than an antenna. It is a resonant circuit, the
resonant frequency of which is determined by the value of the coil in
henries and the cap in farads, ( more like milihenries and microfarads).It
may also be described as the point at which inductive reactance and
capacitive reactance are equal.An arc as generated by the primary circuit of
the tesla coil energizes or "excites" the L/C resonant circuit of the
secondary, and causes it to oscillate at its "resonant frequency.

Jim Leonard