[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Help!

 * Original msg to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting Jeff Butler <Jeff.Butler-at-ON-RAMP.IOR.COM>:

> I have been teaching high school physics for 15 years and I
> finally broke down and bought a tesla coil from Edmond
> Scientific.  While I have the theory under control, I would
> like some ideas for interesting and instructive demonstrations
> for my classes.

There is a good book on this:

> EXPERIMENTS WITH ALTERNATE CURRENTS OF HIGH POTENTIAL
N. Tesla, available from Lindsay Publications, order# 4392,
$ 9.95. See my Tesla References file for Lindsay's address.
There are also three or four other books listed in the Tesla
References post that include sections on experiments.

> I am also curious about the high frequency sparks.  I
> understand that they are suposed to be painless but they feel
> like the sparks from my Van de Graff Machine.

This particular coil is not the best example of a Tesla coil, it
works, but it also has some problems. Try standing on a well
insulated platform, hold a section of copper pipe firmly in your
hands, and bring it gradully to the discharge terminal. You
should not get bit too badly. With the coils that I build and
operate (using a dedicated RF ground for the base of the
secondary) the voltage from the top of the coil is very clean RF.
I can pull several feet of hot spark to a metal rod in the
fashion with only the slightest discomfort.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12