[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark Gap & Safety Cap

 * Original msg to: Cwolins-at-orion.it.luc.edu
 * Carbons sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting Mattthew <cwolins-at-orion.it.luc.edu>:

> Richard i went to the HAM Fest today and found several
> suppliers of door knob caps and magnet wire locally.  I wanted
> to buy the door knob caps today but I declined because I wasn't
> positive about the voltage ratings.  I want to use the
> door-knob caps for the safety caps or bypass capacitors called
> BC1 and BC2.  All of the caps were marked for 500pf -at- 15kVdc.
> What would this handle AC wise.

AC wise these capacitors will hold up to 7.5 KVAC. Kickbacks
from the Tesla tank circuit will reduce this to a more realistic
5 KVAC rating as a bypass capacitor. You will need to put three
in series to get the proper voltage rating. Since you are going
to be starting with neons you could have purchased four of these
capacitors and put two in series between each high voltage
bushing and ground. It would have worked fine.

> They were selling these for about $14-$40 depending on the
> value.

A little high priced. I see the .003 microfarad 30kvdc doorknobs
for sale mail-order at $15.00 each, and even that is a little
expensive. I am used to buying these for $8-$10 each.

Try:

High Voltage Press, 4326 S.E. Woodstock, #489, Portland  OR
97206  USA   Tel: 503-775-3209

Hi-Way Company, Surplus Electronics, 305 Wisconsin Ave.
Oceanside  CA  92054   Tel: 619/967-7225
Surplus Sprague HVDC rated capacitors, excellent bypass caps

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12