[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

capacitor design, was filtering on neons

Greetings,

If I understand your drawings correctly, you will have two holes in your
dielectric plates.  While the plates will be separated from the Cu rods
by the oil, I think you will likely get arcing between the corner and
the Cu rod.  I made a plate capacitor once and got arcs between the edges
of the Al foil plates.  The arrangement was like this:
--------|
======= |
---- Zap|
======= |
--------|

where the =='s are polypropylene and the -- and |'s are the foil.
The Zap is where the arcing occurred.  I was running at 15kV, but I did
have a 1" space where the Zap occurred.  Of course once the oil and plastic
were arced once, the carbon/soot made a nice conductive path.

The next time I build a plate capacitor, I'll make sure that the arc must
go out and around, or at least through open oil.

In summary, I would suggest using tabs and connect them in the "open",
away from the plastic sheets.

Chip