[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla References

 * Original msg to: E.young-at-mailbox.uq.oz.au

Quoting Marcus Young <E.Young-at-MAILBOX.UQ.OZ.AU>:

> Richard,

> You know more about coils than me, and probably most on this
> list, but is there any need for.............................

 >> Edward Wingate, "Wingate Electric", 545 Salmon Creek Rd.
 >> Brockport,  NY  14420  USA
 >> I list this address for completeness. CAVEAT EMPTOR! Mr.
 >> Wingate is mailing flyers advertising rotary spark gaps. This
 >> "company" was not registered in the state of New York when I
 >> last checked

> Why did you check?

I had contacted Mr. Wingate as a result of an advertising flyer
he had distributed through the TCBA publication NEWS. This flyer,
and subsequent flyers I have seen, lists a business name "Wingate
Electric". I called Mr. Wingate long distance because his flyer
mentioned that other coil components were available in addition
to rotary gaps and I was primarily interested in obtaining a pole
pig. On the phone Mr. Wingate treated me as if I was a child,
which means that I was treated in a slightly rude and very
condescending maner. I paid long distance charges for nearly an
hour while Mr. Wingate decided whether or not I qualified to
benefit from his services. We were finally able to negotiate a
price and shipping dates for a 5 kVA pole pig and a rotary gap.
Mr. Wingate requested pre-payment by certified cashiers check. I
had my bank cut a check made payable to "Wingate Electric" which
I mailed to the address on the flyer.

About ten days later I received the cashiers check back in the
mail. I called Mr. Wingate and was informed that he was unable to
deposit the check. He requested that I issue a check made payable
directly to him. Curious, I called the Secretary of State in New
York and was informed that the business name was not registered.
No problem. I took the check back to my bank and had them cut a
second cashiers check made payable directly to Ed Wingate. I sent
this check out by express overnight mail with a note requesting
him to ship the pole pig as soon as possible. This item was in
stock.

About a week after this, the second check was returned with no
note or explanation. Again I paid for a long distance phone call
where I was treated in a ruder and more condescending manner. Mr.
Wingate felt he was being treated unfairly it seemed. The cost of
the rotary gap increased as we spoke on the phone to the point I
felt I was being manipulated and lied to. During our previous
conversation during which we negotiated price, Mr. Wingate had
indicated that he had all of the materials required for
construction in stock. Now all of the sudden the cost of the
materials were climbing. I was already covering substantial long
distance charges, mail and express mail charges, cashiers check
charges, along with condescension on the phone.

 >> and I had to cancel my dealings and association with Mr.
 >> Wingate due to problems of shifting prices and shipping
 >> dates.

> Ed only makes a few rotors each year I think. I doubt it would
> be worth his while having an 'official' company.

That may be, but he was using business letterhead to advertise.
While this practice is not illegal in this country, it is
generally frowned upon.

> I have one of his rotors and it is certainly a flawless piece
> of engineering. Defintley worth the $250 US !

Great.

> I think I would prefer to buy a rotor made by someone
> with an intimate understanding of TC's and magnifiers than an
> engineering company with no 'real' experiance. I found Ed
> Wingate very accomodating to my specific requirements and have
> only heard good things about him elsewhere.

Which indicates to me that he is learning the value of a good
reputation.

> The only low Q components he uses are his coil forms.(so what!)
> From photos, Ed's tank circuits are some of the 'tightest' I've
> seen! Rotary terminals bolted directly to caps, with the other
> end of the caps bolted directly to the primary ect.

We all learn with time, but this has nothing to do with his
business ethics.

> I think we should all stick together. Ed produces a quality
> product at allmost half the cost of an engineering company, and
> has never had a rotor fail in all his years of making them.
> They are made from the BEST and most reliable materials
> avaliable.

This is wonderful news. But based on my experience, I would not
recommend that others have to submit to the problems and expenses
that I was subjected to. I felt lucky that I got my money back.

> I dont want to create some on-going argument about it, but I
> think coilers can well benefit by the product that Ed produces,
> even if the waiting time can be a month or two. He will make
> the best rotor money can buy. He seems to be good friends with
> the rest of the coiling community! If he was that bad a 'deal',
> I doubt he would be such good friends with peope such as
> Richard Hull and co.

> There are so few of us.......why cant we all be friends.

I have perhaps done Mr. Wingate a favor by speaking directly to
people such as Richard Hull and Bill Wysock, and writing to Harry
Goldman about the problems that I had in my attempts to conduct
business with him. The Tesla community is indeed small. Mr.
Wingate would not have gone far subjecting people to the
treatment that I was subjected to. I am sure something was said,
because I said it.

> Ed's not even here to defend himself against the above slander,
> though he is well aware of it I'me sure!

You need to define slander. I have done nothing that meets the
defination in my Websters. Nor does libel apply. As for Mr.
Wingate being aware of this issue, I am sure he is. In addition
to speaking to him myself, and making my position very clear in
correspondence, I have posted my references files in public areas
many, many times.

> I just think you should give ED a fair write-up, based on the
> general feelings of the coiling community, rather than your own
> personal ones!

I call the shots as I see them and make no excuses if it does not
meet with the approval of the crowd. If you and others feel
diferently you are certainly free to voice your opinions. My
business experience with Mr. Wingate was unexcusable in my
opinion. I feel that by making people aware of the problems I had
Mr. Wingate is more likely to make every effort to present
himself in a very professional and businesslike manner. As you
stated, the Tesla community is small.

> Dont try to put off others, who have not yet had dealings with
> this gentelman. Let them see for themselves? Come on, give him
> due respect!

I have given Mr. Wingate the respect he earned from me. No more,
no less. As for letting people see for themselves, I feel that if
I save one person from the experience I went through then I have
done the right thing.

Respectfully

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12