[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Current limiting?

 * Carbons Sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting  P.L.Mason-at-bath.ac.uk:

> I have a number of smallish transformers which don't come with
> any current limiting on them. Now I hear of all sorts of
> methods of doing this (oven  elements, welders, variable
> inductances). Most of my transformers (don't laugh) push about
> 200W according to their spec. How is it best to current limit
> these?

I don't know, I am just throwing this out. The surplus store
where I shop on occasion always has a good stock of audio load
resistors rated 8 ohms -at- 100 watts. These are nice looking units
with wrap around anodized aluminum heat sinks. They are priced
about a buck apiece. I would try placing two of these in
parallel.

Thoughts anyone?

> And does the process of limiting the current cause a reduction
> in the peak voltage seen by the capacitor in the tank circuit?

Yes, there is some voltage drop. The amount depends on the size
and type of the ballasting used.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12