[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Oven elements, and misc comment.

In a message dated 96-01-15 16:11:07 EST, tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com writes:

>Greetings,
>
>I am building a power cabinet (still) and would like some input on
>the oven element resistors that people use.  In particular,
>are they placed in series with the arc welder, or are they in
>parallel?  The reason I ask is because I have gleaned conflicting
>information.
>Here's one setup:
>
>----/\/\/\/-------at--at--at-(Welder)-at--at--at-
>  |-/\/\/\/--|
>  |-/\/\/\/--|
>
>Here's another:
>--at--at--at-(Welder)-at--at--at-
>
>The second setup seems like it would provide more "cusioning" for the
>welder.  I don't know -- that's why I'm asking!

Chip,

I run with my oven elements in parallel with the welder (your second method).
 I was trying to get up to 40 amps of primary current and used the elements
to lower the effective inductive reactance of the welder.  It also runs more
smoothly and is easier to control this way - at least for my set up.

Ed Sonderman