[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

neon xfrm rebuild

 * Original msg to: Teslakd-at-primenet-dot-com
 * Carbons sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting Thomas Kelley <teslakd-at-primenet-dot-com>:

> Outside of restoring a transformer with a bad winding, is there
> a definite set of benefits to rebuilding a "good" transformer?

If you are a real perfectionist; yes.

1) The transformers last longer when they are unpotted. The core
cools more effectively and the lack of potting reduces the
incidents of carbon tracking through the asphalt.

2) If you unpot the cores you can easily remove a shunt plate
from each side of the core and boost the output slightly.

For me personally, these two advantages do not make the effort
worthwhile when starting with a perfectly good transformer.
However, I never throw away a bad neon. I will periodically go
through and unpott four or five cores all at once.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12