[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Inductive ballast (Welders)

>To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
>From: MSR7-at-PO.CWRU.EDU (Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D.)
>Subject: Re: Inductive ballast (Welders)
>

>>Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 15:03:32 -0800
>>From: gcerny-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com (Glenn Cerny )
>>Subject: Inductive ballast (Welders)
>>To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
>>
>>Fellow coilers,
>>Lincoln electric makes a welder that appears to be well suited
>>for our purpose.  Model AC225C is a 225amp variable inductance
>>welder that uses a threaded thermo-plastic rod to move the
>>shunts.  I have not had the opportunity to try mine out yet,
>>so first hand info on actual performance I cannot comment on.
>>The price of these is fairly reasonable.  I bought mine on sale
>>at home depot harware for 159.00 us.  Stripped from lincolns
>>original cabinet I was disappointed to find aluminum windings,
>>but the duty cycle is still 20% and when the core is mounted
>>in my control cabinet with fans blowing on it, I would think
>>that there will be no problems.  The big advantage appears to
>>be that we could use this core to vary current without shutting
>>down the power and a reasonable purchase price.
>>
>>Glenn

Hello Coilers,
        Can anyone out there with extensive pole pig experience provide us
with some specifications on what kind of inductive load characteristics are
desirable for say 5, 10 and 20 kVa systems?  Perhaps someone like Lincoln
Electric has something more suitable and at lower cost. (They are a local
company for me!)
>Regards,
>Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D.
Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D., Senior Physicist, Radiology Dept.
The Mt. Sinai Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44106
Assistant Professor, Case Western Reserve University
Departments of Radiology and Biomedical Engineering
Voice:216-421-4689  FAX:216-421-5343  E-mail:msr7-at-po.cwru.edu