[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotatry Gaps motors

>> Subject: Re: Rotatry Gaps motors
>
>>From ccurran-at-execpc-dot-comSat Jun  8 21:44:19 1996
>Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 17:28:32 -0500
>From: Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
[snip]
>	I would be very interested in what speed you find to be the most
>successful when you test various settings with your motors.  The reason I
>am curious is that I hope to have my rotary in use in about 2 weeks,
>along with the rest of the system.  I've tried to learn as much as
>possible through the postings over the last 8 months and now several
>that I read come to mind.  At first, I had the impression that a high
>speed rotary gap was the hot set up, but now I have the understanding
>from several posts that the high speed gap is ideal for a magnifier, but
>not a two coil system.  My memory is less than perfect so I apologize if
>I misquote someone, but I thought Richard Quick was suggesting good
>results with about 450 bps last fall and Richard Hull was indicating less
>than 1000 bps for two coil systems.

I can't tell you what is best yet. But, don't run a 3 layer 0.030" cap
at 15kV and +1000bps. Or you'll get 3 seconds of great sparks and then
a whimper;( (I wouldn't mind it so much if these caps would go out
with a bang! But, after all those hours of work, I feel let down when
the go out with a pht;( (no arcs, no sparks, no noise);

>	Just thought I would mention this for your consideration.  I
>started my rotary with the intent of actually using the Carter 1 H.P.
>motor that several of us purchased from C&H and running it at high RPM
>(it's a 0-10,000 RPM universal motor).  I think right now I will target a
>lower speed and bps rate, but I am sure eager to learn as much as
>possible before making huge clouds of acrid smoke!!

No huge clouds of smoke. Some shrapnel maybe, but little smoke;(

	Regards,

	jim	of pyro yearnings!