[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: current limiting choke

On Sun, 16 Jun 1996 18:25:01 -0600, Tesla List
<tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>, you wrote:

Harri,

>Very interesting. I'd be interested in hearing further details when/if
>you investigate it thoroughly. Does your pig have a huge leakage
>inductance?

I just checked the LV side with the HV side shorted. At 1kHz, the
leakage inductance is 36uH for the left half primary, 28uH for the
right half, and 114uH for the full primary(I double check the left and
right sides here). At 60Hz: left = 45uH, right = 39uH and full= 118uH.
This is consistent with the 60uH figures I've seen specified for the
"wall outlet".

>I'm sure you'll investigate the spark gap well. No point in using
>very lossy gaps in the primary :)

I'll check these later this week. Just had a thought. While waiting
for my CP cap, I've only have 6nF of cap. That translates to 105 ohms
when it's impedance is transformed back down to the 220V side. Does
this mean that my rotary gap IS quenching well and the current is
being limited by the impedance of this low capacitance? Or a bad L/R
time constant in my 220V pig circuit? I did find a big difference
between just a resistive ballast and a resistive/inductive ballast in
the firing rate of the gap.

thoughts? comments? (series LC primary circuit, shunt gap)

>See "Malin Tunic: Chemistry of structure - function references in cheese" for
>further details!

One of my favorite college courses was "Industrial uses of microbes"
which started out with cheese making, wine making, sour kraut
(fermented cabbage), linen production, pepper (as in salt and
pepper)... and then went on to sewage disposal. It was a great class.
After the final exam: a wine and cheese party!

	cheers,

	jim