[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Final Capacitor Test Results

Tesla List wrote:

> >From Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-comFri Jun 14 17:25:07 1996
> Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:18:11 -0400
> From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Final Capacitor Test Results

> Ed writes to Chuck C.
>
> Chuck,
>  You will have to apply a good
> deal of power to get the 48" toroid to break out.  I would suggest  laying a
> wire on the toroid, sticking out over the edge with a ground wire opposite it
> a few feet away to do the initial tuning.
>
> Good luck on your project.
>
> Ed Sonderman

Ed, All,

The wire hanging over the side of the toroid is a very good way to get
the intial tune in at lower power on a system with a huge toroid.

We can actually make our sparks go pretty much where we want them to
once the high power goes on!  We have shown it on numerous tapes.

The object is to only very slightly upset the E-field on the surface of
the toroid without losing precious voltage.  Take a small 1/4" by 3"
strip of aluminum flashing. (one, two or three pieces is normal for us)
Place them around the rim of the toroid at the outer equator of the
doughnut.  they can be taped into place with aluminum tape.  they should
form a small arch or bump at the center.  These will allow the toroid to
reach nearly maximum energy before breaking down.  There is a distinct
art in this, so experiment is the key factor for each individual system.
 In this manner you can force the sparks to leave the toroid in a
generally desired direction.  All those sparks in the rear which are lost
to view will now be pulled around to a proper viewing position without
the ruinous effect to the toroid which a pointed wire or other sharp
(takeoff) item are so often seen to do.

If your spark never leaves the bumps, you have too much of a bump.  They
should have the spark form there and then walk off the bump.  Usually,
upwards.

Richard Hull, TCBOR