[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fair Radio caps

Hi everybody,

Those Fair Radio caps finally arrived which I mentioned last week (100kV,
.01uF).  They are doing wonders for my little "kitchen" system, but then again
anything would when compared to my old flat plate cap.  These caps were made in
'83 & '84 and seem to be in reasonable shape though a bit dirty.  One had
traces of oil around the oil hole, so it will be interesting to see what
happens when it's stressed.  I'm guessing that this type of cap is constructed
while submerged, and that this hole allows oil to escape when they are put
together(???).  The hole is sealed with a plastic screw.

Anyway, they are approximately 10x5x2.5", plastic case, with a #12 stud on each
end.  Very compact...a little bit bigger than a large brick.  Printed on each
cap is: F-C-I, KM14-1000-10, .01MFD-100KVDC, and then the date.  I'll post the
results of any higher power testing later in the summer once I have my pig.

Speaking of caps, a few days ago my little system blew a hole through a piece
of 1/8" plexi in my flat plate cap with only 15kV 60mA.  Hard to imagine the
stresses that some of these caps must encounter in larger systems.

Charles Brush